Clean design, thoughtful details
1. Has smooth drawing paper with a balanced thickness—not too thin, not too thick.
2. Is sized for easy carrying. Big enough to draw & write comfortably, but also compact enough to always have with you.
3. Is spiral-bound. This is important because it allows the book to lay flat, fold back on itself, and have pages easily pulled out. Many otherwise attractive notebooks are missing this.
4. Has convenient extras. Small pocket for stickers and cards, large pocket for tools like tracing paper and clippings. Elastic closure to keep it secure. Plus little extra surprises ;)
5. Looks and feels good. The more you enjoy how a notebook feels to use, the more often you'll draw and write in it. And that's the most important thing of all.